By Robert Firth, Local Democracy Reporter
A Chinese takeaway with rat excrement on the floor has been warned after an inspector found customers could get food poisoning from reheated rice.
A chef at Bamboo Garden in Burnt Ash Road, Lee, told a council worker they warmed up rice that had been left in a plastic box at room temperature.
The takeaway was given the worst possible score of 0 out of 5 for food hygiene following an inspection on December 1 last year.
A food hygiene officer found food was being stored in dirty plastic containers and noticed mice droppings near the kitchen during the visit.
Bamboo Garden was ordered to take immediate steps to improve following the inspection. The takeaway was found to be in breach of 13 food hygiene rules.
A Lewisham council report from December 20, 2021 said: “Upon arrival I noted a plastic tray of cooked rice left at ambient temperature.
“I was advised by one of the chefs that the rice is cooked, kept at ambient temperature and then reheated upon customer request.
“This is a bad practice as harmful bacteria can grow at ambient temperature.
“The main concern is the formation of toxins that will get destroyed with the heat treatment and could lead to food poisoning of consumers.
“At the time of the inspection rat activity in the form of rat droppings were noted in the basement. Slight mice activity in the form of mice droppings was noted in the small dry storage room located at the entrance of the kitchen.”
A letter addressed to Bamboo Garden from a Lewisham environmental health boss said an inspector would revisit the takeaway to ensure it was taking steps to improve.
Following the second inspection, the council will consider what action to take against the takeaway.
Bamboo Garden has not commented so far.
Pictured top: Bamboo Garden in Burnt Ash Road, Lee