Iberdrola firmly believes that the transition to a carbon neutral economy by 2050 is possible and economically meaningful. Today, the data center industry has grown exponentially as a core component of the digital economy and will continue to grow over time as cloud computing expands. Anticipating the bottlenecks that arise with such high demand, Iberdrola International Startup Challenge looks for innovative solutions to increase the energy efficiency of data centers.
Discover the Iberdrola Startup Challenge to increase energy efficiency in data centers
In order to decarbonise the economy and develop digital innovation, innovative distribution networks need to be built to cope with new models of electricity consumption. Data centers are a growing source of power demand, accounting for 200 terawatt hours (TWh) per year – about 1% of total global electricity demand. In some locations, such as Ireland, where there is a huge density of data centers, this ratio can reach 14% of electricity consumption.
In this context, Iberdrola in partnership with Schneider Electric and Microsoft, through PERSEO – Iberdrola’s International Startups Program – is launching this challengelooking for innovative solutions to increase energy efficiency in data centers and enable facility locations to improve the effectiveness of their power consumption.
What challenges can you apply for?
Sub-challenge A – Heat and water recovery: Solutions include reusing the heat generated by data centers (hot airflow at 32-40 degrees Celsius) for residential, commercial or industrial processes.
Sub-challenge B – Smart building: Solutions include smart collaboration between different energy management systems, such as thermal & electrical systems.
Sub-Challenge C – Demand-Side Response Capacity: Including solutions for providing flexibility and balancing services to grid operators.
Exciting prize and opportunities await the winners!
Iberdrola is no stranger to working with startups and emerging companies – in the past two years, the Group has launched more than 16 Startup Challenges to address pressing issues in today’s energy networks. In addition, working with Iberdrola offers a unique opportunity:
Winning this Challenge will reward you with signing a collaboration agreement to develop a Proof-of-Concept (PoC). The PoC will be developed in collaboration with experts from Iberdrola, Schneider Electric and Microsoft.
Discover all your benefits†
- Collaboration Agreement & Pilot Test: The prize for the winner consists of a cooperation and testing agreement with PERSEO or another Iberdrola group company. The group will support the costs of the pilot activities.
- Access-all-areas: Iberdrola will provide the winner with all necessary technical support as well as a site and real data to test the solution. This includes access to equipment, teams, infrastructure, high-tech locations and shared work areas.
- Scale your technology: If the pilot test is satisfactory, Iberdrola may offer the winner the opportunity to scale up the solution by customizing it through commercial agreements.
- Investment: In addition, PERSEO is considering investing in the participating company and/or the winner of the challenge.
Key Data to Drive Energy Efficiency at Data Centers Challenge
Registrations for this challenge are now open! Apply now here†
- Application deadline: June 12, 2022 (deadline extended!)
- Evaluation period: start June 2022
- Pilot project: Second half of 2022
How do you make sure you submit a strong application?
The following value propositions will be considered, among others:
- Solution maturity, reliability and scalability
- Simplicity of installation
- Economic impact for data center managers (costs versus revenues)
- Improving the effectiveness of power consumption
- Effectiveness of energy reuse, or ERE, a measure of the success of heat reuse
- Applicability of the solution for these and other industries
Proposals should specify what equipment and connections are needed to implement your solutions. Your proposals will be analyzed by experts from the likes of Iberdrola, Schneider Electric and Microsoft’s expert teams.
Ready to decarbonize data centers and scale your innovative solution with Iberdrola? Click here to apply today†
Sharing is caring!