Leipzig has an enviable range of spacious, affordable and architecturally attractive buildings – key drivers of liveability, culture and innovation. The city actively supports the creative reuse of industrial buildings, brownfields and greenfields, creating spaces for culture and business innovation.
This one makes Leipzig a magnet for newcomers and the fastest growing German city, with highly regarded economic potential. Attracting young and well-trained people and recruiting the right talent is relatively easy here.
Discover the fastest growing city in Germany
Testimony of its growth strategy and exciting growth potential, Leipzig has been declared a ‘City of the Future’ by fDi Intelligence in their ranking of the best investment destinations in Europe. The rebirth of Leipzig is based on a strategic combination of three sustainable growth factors:
- Industry and innovation
- Culture and creativity
- Liveability, affordability and space to build
Leipzig is also committed to sustainable, resilient and functional urban development provide a healthy living environment. The city of Leipzig continues to invest in modern networks, public transport and sustainable urban development. Thanks to the modern infrastructure, the individual districts are well connected with each other.
Leipzig: quick facts
- Population is expected to reach 700,000 by 2040
- Leipzig is one of Germany’s youngest cities – the average age is 42
- 40,000+ students in higher education
- 28% of all employees have a university degree
- 26,000 new jobs created in five years (2015-2020)
- Home to 250 startupsLeipzig is one of the most dynamic startup ecosystems in East Germany
- More than 500 technology companies have settled in Leipzig in the past ten years
- Leipzig Airport and the adjacent DHL hub are the fourth largest air freight hub in Europe and second largest in Germany
Is your industry ripe for expansion in Leipzig?
As a business location, the Leipzig region offers excellent opportunities for companies in growth sectors. The region has established industry clusters for information technology (IT) and e-commerce, logistics, energy, mobility and life sciences, as well as environmental technology and manufacturing. Discover the fastest growing industries in Leipzig:
Energy and environmental technology
If one of the regions designated by the state as a Hub for smart digital initiatives (de:Hub), the Leipzig region’s focus on energy and smart city includes an accelerator program focused on smart infrastructure.
Business and research also go hand in hand in the Leipzig region, serving a broad spectrum of future technologies ranging from renewable energy sources to new storage technologies and highly efficient installations to digital solutions.
in Leipzig, it is one of the most important and fastest growing sectors of the economy – a place where sustainable companies can grow:
- Company: Home of international companies such as the Gas Trading Group VNG or the European Energy Exchange EEX† These organizations have long shaped the local energy sector by attracting other companies such as: Verbio biofuel and technology and Energy2market†
- Research: Internationally renowned research institutions include the Helmholtz Center for Environmental Research UFZthe German Biomass Research Center DBFZthe German Center for Integrative Biodiversity Research iDivthe Leibniz Institute for Surface Engineering IOMand the three Fraunhofer Institutes CSS† IMWS and CBP†
- Networks & Communities: Depending on the precise nature of your work, Leipzig offers several general and specific business networks. Examples include: The Energy & Environment Network† Energy Saxonythe HYPOS network, the BioEconomy Clusterand the RWTec research and innovation network, just to name a few.
Automotive & Mobility
The current disruptive challenges posed by the transition from the combustion engine (ICE) era to electric vehicles are being addressed here in Autoland Saxony, where Leipzig-based companies are at the forefront of this revolution. 1 in 4 electric vehicles in Europe is currently produced in Saxony, Germany.
The Leipzig region, with its strong automotive cluster, is the ideal starting point for this technological E-mobility transformation† What started in the early 1990s with the branches of Porsche and BMW has grown into a flourishing location for the entire automotive production chain:
MedTech & Life Sciences
Applied cutting-edge research in medicine, as well as forward-looking innovations in healthcare, are the focus of life sciences companies in Leipzig. The diverse life science industry in the Leipzig region includes bioeconomics, life sciences, health economics, biotechnology, medical technology, pharmaceutical industry and bioinformatics, as well as pharmaceutical and medical logistics.
Since its inception in 2000, the Leipzig region’s life sciences industry has focused on: Establish Leipzig as a leader in applied medical research and marketable innovation in healthcare†
- Company: In the Healthcare and Biotech Cluster, 42 percent of Leipzig-based companies and 68 percent of research institutions are active in medical technology – a key technology in Germany. The face of the industry is small and medium-sized companies. For example the Accelerator for smart medical devices and therapies (Medical Forge) further assists international startups to develop market-ready product innovations for the European healthcare market, especially in the field of CE certification and reimbursement.
- Research: With his Life Science Campus, the Leipzig region offers companies from biotechnology, cell and gene therapy, medical technology, the pharmaceutical industry and bioinformatics the ideal ecosystem to grow and thrive. The campus is home to the Medical and Veterinary Faculties of the University of Leipzigthe Center for Biotechnology and Biomedicinethe biotech-biomedical incubator BIO CITY LEIPZIGand the Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology (IZI)†
- Networks & Communities: The Association for Biotechnology and Medical Technology bio-saxes is part of the extremely vibrant life science cluster of the Leipzig region. Together with the German Biomass Research Center (DBFZ) and the Helmholtz Center for Environmental Research (UFZ)the Leipzig region is part of the Leading BioEconomy Cluster†
- Key moment: Organic Europe 2022 will be held in Leipzig in October 2022
The easiest way to bring your business to Leipzig
Invest Region Leipzig is the economic development agency for the Leipzig region in Germany. Formed by the City of Leipzig, the Leipzig Chamber of Industry and Commerce and the Leipzig Administrative District, it main purpose is to help new and established companies relocate or establish themselves in the region.
What does Invest Region Leipzig do for you? Invest Region Leipzig’s expert advisory team offers you advice based on your specific location and business needs to help you successfully set up and grow in the Leipzig region.
Invest Leipzig’s Region free, confidential and customized services Involving:
- Offer the most relevant research and information for your company
- Access dedicated in-house specialists by sector, including Energy, Automotive & Mobility and MedTech
- Location scouting services such as site visits and virtual tours
- Assistance with registration from your company in Germany
- Identify and help with obtaining grants and subsidies
- Finding the right talent with recruitment specialists and university career services
- Connecting you with industry associations and community networks
- Aftercare – Invest Region Leipzig will work closely with local agencies to ensure your business is successful
Ready to scale up and bring your business to Leipzig? Click here to see all the details and contact Invest Region Leipzig today!
Sharing is caring!