12.4 C
London
Wednesday, September 28, 2022

GOP candidate for Florida House has been booted from Twitter after a post about the shooting of federal agents

Must read

Join “Power Up with E-mobility” – a TE Connectivity Startup Challenge

TE Connectivity develops high-tech solutions for electric vehicles, aircraft, digital factories and smart homes. For more than 75 years, TE has partnered with...

Amid concerns over Jio-Airtel duopoly, analysts suggest new telecom law empowers government to maintain competition

The government has released a draft telecom law to replace three old bills, one of which is more than a century old. The...

Razorpay Enters Loyalty and Rewards Segment with PoshVine Acquisition

Payment service provider Razorpay has announced the acquisition of PoshVine, a loyalty and rewards management platform.This marks Razorpay's entry into the loyalty and rewards...

Jolie Poirier

Jolie Poirier is a 33-year-old Instagram model, influencer, businesswoman and philanthropist. This versatile woman is better known as the wife of former Interim...
Shreya Christinahttps://londonbusinessblog.com
Shreya has been with londonbusinessblog.com for 3 years, writing copy for client websites, blog posts, EDMs and other mediums to engage readers and encourage action. By collaborating with clients, our SEO manager and the wider londonbusinessblog.com team, Shreya seeks to understand an audience before creating memorable, persuasive copy.

A Republican candidate seeking a House seat in the Florida legislature was removed from his Twitter account this week after a report of violence against federal agents.

Luis Miguel, who operates in Florida’s House District 20, said on Twitter that federal agents in the state could be shot under his plan. He told the website Florida politics that Twitter had informed him that his account was permanently suspendedwhich he later confirmed to NBC News on Friday.

A Twitter spokesperson said the account has been permanently suspended for violating the company’s hateful behavior.

Miguel confirmed to NBC News that his tweet from Thursday said, “By my plan, all Floridians will be allowed to shoot the FBI, IRS, ATF and all other FBI! Let freedom ring!”

The post comes amid increased threats against the FBI after agents executed a search warrant on former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate. Last week, an armed man attacked an FBI field office in Cincinnati and was fatally shot by police.

On Friday, two top congressional Democrats on the House Oversight Committee letters sent to social media companies about “a flood of violent threats on social media” that pose a threat to law enforcement.

“We urge you to take immediate action to address any threat of violence against law enforcement that appears on your company’s platforms,” wrote New York committee chair Carolyn Maloney and Massachusetts Representative Stephen Lynch, who formed the subcommittee. leading to national security.

The letters — sent to Meta, Twitter, TikTok, Truth Social, Rumble, Gettr, Telegram and Gab — also asked for information on how social media companies are responding to the threats.

Speaking to NBC News, Miguel insisted he did not condone violence.

“I am in no way advocating any form of vigilante, extrajudicial, illegal or other violence against federal officials,” he said.

Miguel argued that his tweet referred to planned legislation that would require federal agencies to have Florida permission to operate in the state, and allow people to protect themselves from threats to their lives or property.

He said he learned of Twitter’s suspension Friday morning when he checked his account, and that he has appealed to the social media company.

Earlier Friday, Miguel defended the tweet in an interview with Florida Politics, saying what he wrote was justified because the IRS is “armed by dissident troops” — a clear reference to misleading characterizations by some Republicans that the IRS is assembling an armed force. of 80,000 agents to target the average American.

Miguel also said Instagram deleted a similar post on Friday. Friday night it looked like the account had been deleted.

A representative of Meta, the parent company of Instagram and Facebook, said Friday that both his Instagram and Facebook accounts had been deleted. Why didn’t the spokesperson.

Miguel is on the ballot in Tuesday’s primary along with State Representative Bobby Payne, another Republican. They are the only two candidates, according to the Florida Department of State.


More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article

Join “Power Up with E-mobility” – a TE Connectivity Startup Challenge

TE Connectivity develops high-tech solutions for electric vehicles, aircraft, digital factories and smart homes. For more than 75 years, TE has partnered with...

Amid concerns over Jio-Airtel duopoly, analysts suggest new telecom law empowers government to maintain competition

The government has released a draft telecom law to replace three old bills, one of which is more than a century old. The...

Razorpay Enters Loyalty and Rewards Segment with PoshVine Acquisition

Payment service provider Razorpay has announced the acquisition of PoshVine, a loyalty and rewards management platform.This marks Razorpay's entry into the loyalty and rewards...

Jolie Poirier

Jolie Poirier is a 33-year-old Instagram model, influencer, businesswoman and philanthropist. This versatile woman is better known as the wife of former Interim...

Hurricane Ian heads for Florida as ‘extremely dangerous major hurricane’

Hurricane Ian remained on Florida's Gulf coast on Tuesday as an "extremely dangerous major hurricane" after shutting power to all of Cuba, officials said.The...