mergency services are responding to a major incident at the London Aquatics Centre in Stratford after a “high quantity of chlorine gas was released” on Wednesday morning.
A number of people are being treated by London Ambulance paramedics for breathing difficulties on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford.
The gas release occurred when the facilities management company that operates the plant room took a delivery of pool chemicals, according to GLL, which operates the London Aquatics Centre.
Around 200 people were evacuated from the swimming venue and the surrounding area has been cordoned off.
A GLL spokesperson said: “The emergency services were called and some of our customers have required medical treatment due to breathing difficulties. We are working to support all those affected.
“We are awaiting guidance from the facilities management company, LLDC and the emergency services on when the Centre will be able to reopen.”
The London Fire Brigade said the incident happened when a “high quantity of chlorine gas was released”.
“While we ventilate the premises we would ask those residents in the immediate vicinity to close doors and windows,” a spokesperson for the Brigade added.
Fire crews from Stratford and surrounding fire stations are at the scene.
The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said he was “in close contact with our emergency services who are dealing with a gas-related incident at the London Aquatics Centre this morning”.
“A number of people are being treated by London Ambulance Service. Please avoid the area which has been cordoned off and evacuated,” he said.