Robert Courts: A shame relationship between mayor and Dame Cressida broke down
Mr Courts added: “There is a quite well-established procedure here where, because it is such an important role – the Met has roles beyond just London, they also have roles that touch national security as well – so it is right that the Home Office also has its level of involvement as well.
“So the Home Secretary clearly has some key interests here for the whole of the UK.”
Mr Courts said it was important to fill the commissioner role “as soon as possible”.
Robert Courts: ‘It appears clearly that the relationship was broken down between the mayor and of course Dame Cressida’
Transport minister Robert Courts said the relationship between Dame Cressida and Sadiq Khan appeared broken.
Speaking to Sky News, he said: “It appears clearly that the relationship was broken down between the mayor and of course Dame Cressida.
“That is a shame, but I think what we’ve got to do now is focus on the future and to start to address all of the issues that will cause the people of London concern.
“It would have been better if that had been handled in a way that meant the relationship hadn’t broken down, but it clearly has – both parties have said that – so I’m just acknowledging the fact that that relationship has broken down, which is regrettable, but as I say, we are where we are, and we need to look to the future.”
Boris Johnson will ‘fall’ out of office if he loses confidence of Cabinet, says senior Tory
Boris Johnson will “fall” out of office if he loses the confidence of the Cabinet, a senior Tory said on Friday.
Lord Willetts, a former universities minister and party whip dubbed “Two Brains”, made clear that Prime Ministers can be removed by more than a confidence vote by MPs.
He also called for the shake-up at the heart of Government to boost the role of Cabinet ministers.
“Johnson’s own style of government needs a strong effective Cabinet Office with clear but limited role and commanding the trust of respected departmental ministers,” the peer, who served in Government for two decades, wrote on the ConservativeHome website.
Read our story here.
Cressida Dick: The runners and riders to replace the Met Police commissioner
Speculation has already begun about who will replace Dame Cressida Dick as the Metropolitan Police commissioner.
Dame Cressida announced on Thursday that she would be stepping down after losing the backing of London Mayor Sadiq Khan in the wake of a series of scandals during her tenure leading Britain’s biggest police force.
With no clear frontrunner to replace the outgoing commissioner, here is a look at some of the likely candidates.
Read our story here.
UK economy records growth in 2021
The UK economy grew by 7.5 per cent in 2021, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reports.
The growth was the fastest since the ONS began recording figures in 1948.
This growth, however, comes after a 9.4 per cent drop in the economy.
‘Sadiq Khan has handled this badly’ – Susan Hall
Leader of the London Conservatives, Susan Hall said Sadiq Khan had handled the resignation of Dame Cressida Dick poorly.
Speaking to the BBC, she said: “I think Sadiq Khan has handled this extremely badly.
“Confidence in the police at the moment is at an all-time low and this won’t help either. I think the way he said to the media he put her on notice, he should have been talking behind closed doors.
“He also renewed her contract only a couple of months ago. If he was that unhappy, then I would wonder why he did that?”
Good morning, here are your top stories for Friday
– Dame Cressida Dick offered her resignation on Thursday. She had been due to meet Sadiq Khan but instead stood down from her position as commissioner for the Met Police.
– During a speech on Thursday, former Prime Minister Sir John Major claimed Boris Johnson had damaged the UK’s reputation. He also said Mr Johnson should resign if he is found to have broken Covid restriction.
– Mr Johnson also travelled to Poland. In a speech, he claimed the state was “critical” to Europe’s security amid fears Russia may invade Ukraine.
- 1 Robert Courts: A shame relationship between mayor and Dame Cressida broke down
- 2 Robert Courts: ‘It appears clearly that the relationship was broken down between the mayor and of course Dame Cressida’
- 3 Boris Johnson will ‘fall’ out of office if he loses confidence of Cabinet, says senior Tory
- 4 Cressida Dick: The runners and riders to replace the Met Police commissioner
- 5 UK economy records growth in 2021
- 6 ‘Sadiq Khan has handled this badly’ – Susan Hall
- 7 Good morning, here are your top stories for Friday