A 19-year-old man wanted by Memphis, Tennessee police in multiple shootings that led to warnings to stay indoors has been arrested, authorities said Wednesday evening.
Police announced at 9:28 p.m. that the suspect in the shooting had been arrested.
More than two hours earlier, police had issued an urgent warning about an armed and dangerous man who had shot several people and may have captured the violence on social media.
Officials have not released how many people have been shot or if anyone is dead. The number and locations of the shooting scenes were also not clear.
Police said the suspect was taken into custody by Memphis police and sheriffs around 9:20 p.m. and the investigation was still ongoing.
“We don’t know his motive. All we know is that he is currently responsible for multiple shootings,” said Police Major Karen Rudolph, a department spokesman. NBC affiliate WMC of Memphis aired earlier Wednesday before the man was arrested.
Police and city officials told the city’s residents of about 630,000 to stay indoors. The Memphis Area Transit Authority announced that the trolley and bus service was suspended due to the situation.
Memphis police tweeted an urgent warning around 7 p.m. local time that a gunman was responsible for multiple shootings.
“We are getting reports that he is recording his actions on Facebook. We have no specific location of where he is now,” the tweet said.
Rudolph, the police officer, confirmed to WMC in a telephone interview that the suspect recorded a shooting.
“Yes, that’s true,” she said. “We did receive a video of him recording himself.”
Facebook parent company Meta said it has removed content related to the incident. The company said it was in contact with the Memphis Police Department and removed live video.
Rudolph told WMC that the suspect was initially in a vehicle described as having dealer tags, but then changed vehicles. She won’t say why.
At 9:11 p.m., police tweeted that everyone in the Ivan and Hodge Roads area to stay indoors. After the arrest of the suspect, the advice was withdrawn on the spot.
The city’s transit authority later said trolley and bus services would resume for a final ride on Wednesday evening and return to full service on Thursday morning.
This is a story in development and will be updated.
Lindsey Pipia contributed.