Greenwich council has named a new leader together with his cabinet team.
Cllr Anthony Okereke, who was elected to take the helm last night, previously served as cabinet member for housing.
The new leader also announced his cabinet members and other key posts for the council, following the local elections earlier this month.
The 32-year-old was born and raised in the borough, living his whole life in Woolwich, and has represented Woolwich Common for Labour since 2018.
He will be the first black leader of Greenwich council.
Cllr Okereke said: “It is an honour to have been elected as leader of the Royal Borough of Greenwich.
“This is my home borough. It’s where I grew up and where my family lives and it is going to be a privilege to serve as leader.
“It is my aim to make our borough the very best it can be, with residents at the heart of every decision we make.
“I understand the issues that residents face every day.
“My priorities will be responding to the cost of living crisis head on with new support schemes, working closely with the NHS to tackle health inequalities, and addressing climate emergency to ensure that our borough is in the best shape it can be for future generations.
“I will do everything I can and give everything I have, to achieve these goals and make life in Royal Greenwich fairer for everyone.”
The full cabinet is as follows:
- Anthony Okereke – Leader of the Council
- Averil Lekau – Deputy Leader, also Cabinet Member Climate Change, Environment and Transport
- Adel Khaireh – Cabinet Member for Equality, Culture and Communities
- Matt Morrow – Cabinet Member for Children and Young People
- Pat Slattery – Cabinet Member for Housing, Neighbourhoods and Homelessness
- Ivis Williams – Cabinet Member for Finance, Resources and Social Value
- Ann-Marie Cousins – Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Enforcement
- Denise Scott-McDonald – Cabinet Member for Health and Adults’ Social Care
- Mariam Lolavar* – Cabinet Member for Inclusive Economy, Business and Skills
- Aidan Smith – Cabinet Member for Regeneration
Pictured top: Back row from left: Cllr Ann-Marie Cousins, Cllr Matt Morrow and Cllr Denise Scott-McDonald; middle row from left: Cllr Pat Slattery, Cllr Mariam Lolavar and Cllr Ivis Williams; front row from left: Cllr Aidan Smith, Cllr Anthony Okereke, Cllr Averil Lekau and Cllr Adel Khaireh (Picture: Royal Greenwich)