Johnnie Jackson has explained the reasoning for Charlton Athletic postponing next Tuesday’s derby at AFC Wimbledon.
The Addicks confirmed earlier this week that a new date would be set – April 5 – as Chris Gunter’s call-up for international duty with Wales gave them the option to reschedule.
Conor Washington is on standby for Northern Ireland after only recently returning from a hamstring injury.
The delay to the Dons fixture also allows more time for the likes of Chuks Aneke, Ryan Inniss and Jake Forster-Caskey to be back in the first-team frame.
“We’ve gone a long period where we have been depleted and played a lot of games with a depleted team,” said Jackson. “We are getting players back now but they have to be really carefully managed as well, with that in mind.
“With the knowledge that we could have other players coming back to fitness as well, we just felt the opportunity to play it down the line would suit us – rather than cramming it into an already tight March.”
Forster-Caskey, out since the end of last season due to an ACL injury, got his first minutes earlier this week for the club’s U23 side.
“There are other people coming back to fitness and this just gives them an opportunity not to be thrown back in and have to play every minute,” said Jackson. “It gives them a little bit of respite, as well.
“It was a sensible decision.”
Goalkeeper Stephen Henderson could be back available for Saturday’s home game against Burton Albion. The Irishman was expected to train today.