SimpliSafe, a company specializing in home security systems, was trending Wednesday after a terrifying video showed what can happen when fireworks use goes awry.
the clipwhich has been viewed more than 25 million times on Twitter (after being initially posted to Reddit and then deleted), shows a collection of people sitting in a driveway, including several children.
In the top left corner of the video, a logo for SimpliSafe can be seen throughout the clip.
— Cody (@new_orleansjazz) July 6, 2022
The first fireworks go off, but the sparks fly. Just when the coast seems clear, a fire breaks out, setting off an explosive chain reaction of fireworks and fire as people in the video search for safety.
Related: Woman opens car door and finds black bear in driver’s seat in viral video
Twitter lit up with theories about what actually happened.
“I admit I’ve re-watched this a few too many times, but I really think the stock was ignited by a wandering firecracker from the main firecracker that doesn’t appear to have fired,” One Twitter user reviewed† “The man looked at the area and turned away, knowing it was going to blow (ears covered), but he didn’t know how big it would get.”
“You can see what happened, if you look,” another be aware† “The first fireworks they lit shot into the trunk of the car [where] the rest of the fireworks must have been saved.”
Others thought the video may have been on purpose.
“If this is viral marketing for SimpliSafe, it’s genius,” one wrote about the clip† “The quality of the camera and microphone is good enough to paint the whole story in great detail, from the uncle yelling about how firecrackers work, to the mother rushing to take her child away. A rich tapestry.”
“Everyone loves the irony of SimpliSafe in the corner”, another early†
SimpliSafe told londonbusinessblog.com they were surprised to see that their name was trending on Wednesday.
Related: Elon Musk Sends Shares Up After Tweet About Viral Video
“While the quality and sensational nature of the video captured by our SimpliSafe camera may make it seem like a SimpliSafe marketing stunt, it certainly isn’t. Customer video and audio cannot be accessed without someone’s permission other than the owner, so we were just shocked to see the video online after the customer shared it,” said Scott Braun, SimpliSafe Chief Growth Officer londonbusinessblog.com via email. “As a protection company, we do not illuminate events that would jeopardize the safety of our customers, whether those incidents are within our control or not. True to our commitment to protecting our customers, we strive to reaching out to the customer to ensure their families and loved ones are safe.”
It is not clear where or when the viral incident took place, nor do we know if there were any injuries. The Twitter user who posted the video explained that he actually had no relationship whatsoever with the people in the video.
“I found it on Reddit, decided to post it here because of all the talk about fireworks here in Utah and it just went crazy,” He wrote†
SimpliSafe also posted a PSA to its Twitter account on Wednesday afternoon.
“We received many comments and questions today about whether this was a scheduled event,” the Tweet said is reading† “We exist to protect our customers and do not consider events that endanger their safety. If you are or know anyone in this video, please let us know that everyone involved is safe.”
Last year, an estimated 11,500 fireworks-related injuries were treated in hospital emergency rooms in the US, with 74% of these injuries reported during the one-month period between June 18 and July 18. according to the United States Commission on Consumer Product Safety.