ill Smith is reportedly set to find out “within hours” whether he will have his Oscar award taken away following his onstage altercation with Chris Rock.
The 53-year-old actor recently resigned from the Acadamy after he slapped Rock during last month’s Oscars when the comedian made a joke about his wife.
Following the incident, Smith went on to collect the gong for Best Actor for his role in King Richard.
It has been claimed there have been several Academy conference calls about the issue and the governors are reportedly in “disagreement” over the incident.
A board meeting is arranged for April 8 “to address possible sanctions for Will Smith”.
“There have been at least two different Zoom and conference calls with various members, and specific governors over the past ten days,” a source told The Sun.
“The decision was made earlier this week to expedite the hearing in the wake of Will’s resignation, and during that call it was clear that the decision would go to the wire.
“The members — of which there are over 9,000, with hundreds of WhatsApp groups flying about — are completely split. The governors themselves are also said to be in disagreement.”
A representative for Smith and the Academy has been approached by The Standard for comment.
After the 94th Oscars ceremony wrapped up, it was revealed officials planned to push for disciplinary proceedings against the actor which was scheduled for April 18.
However, this meeting has now been brought forward to April 8 after Smith handed in his resignation.
In a letter obtained by CNN, the Academy’s president David Rubin wrote: “I am calling a board meeting for this Friday morning, April 8, at 9:00 am PT, rather than the previously scheduled April 18 meeting, to address possible sanctions for Will Smith in response to his actions during the Oscars broadcast on March 2.”
Smith also said in a statement confirming his resignation that he would accept all consequences after slapping Rock.
“I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct,” Smith said.
“My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.
“The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy.”
Smith continued. “I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.
“I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.
“So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.”
The actor added: “Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”